Oregano pesto is a delicious and versatile condiment that can be used in a variety of dishes. Made with fresh oregano, garlic, nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil, oregano pesto is bursting with flavor and adds a unique twist to traditional pesto recipes.
- 2 cups fresh oregano leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of nuts (pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds work well)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the oregano leaves, garlic, nuts, and Parmesan cheese in a food processor
- Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped
- With the food processor running, slowly pour in the olive oil until the pesto is smooth
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week
Ways to Use Oregano Pesto:
Oregano pesto can be used in many ways, such as:
- Tossing with pasta
- Spreading on sandwiches or wraps
- Stirring into soups or stews
- Drizzling over roasted vegetables
- Using as a marinade for meats
Oregano pesto is a simple and delicious way to add a burst of flavor to your dishes. Whether you use it as a pasta sauce, marinade, or spread, oregano pesto is sure to elevate your cooking to the next level.
Is it necessary to use fresh oregano?
While fresh oregano is preferred for the best flavor, you can substitute dried oregano if needed. Use 1/3 of the amount of fresh oregano called for in the recipe.
Can I freeze oregano pesto?
Yes, oregano pesto freezes well. Place the pesto in an ice cube tray and freeze. Once frozen, transfer the pesto cubes to a freezer-safe bag or container for easy use in the future.
What nuts work best in oregano pesto?
Pine nuts are the traditional choice for pesto, but walnuts and almonds are great alternatives. Feel free to experiment and find your favorite nutty flavor.